... until the collector arrives ...

This "blog" is really just a scratchpad of mine. There is not much of general interest here. Most of the content is scribbled down "live" as I discover things I want to remember. I rarely go back to correct mistakes in older entries. You have been warned :)

2006-02-28

Apache Axis

I was getting a strange error message from Axis 1.3 stating that there was no deserializer for the type xs:string (or, alternatively, that there was no serializer for java.lang.String).  It turned out that the problem was that I had previously deployed a web service that had custom serializers but had then changed the JAR so that it no longer contained the classes that supported them.  In addition, I had not undeployed the web service that reference those serializers.  Apparently, if Axis is unable to load any custom serializer, it fails to load all serializers -- including the built-in ones.  The moral of the story is that if you see strange serialization errors, go check Axis' server-config.wsdd for dead entries.

Blog Archive