... until the collector arrives ...

This "blog" is really just a scratchpad of mine. There is not much of general interest here. Most of the content is scribbled down "live" as I discover things I want to remember. I rarely go back to correct mistakes in older entries. You have been warned :)

2006-10-02

Eclipse RCP Editors

I kept getting the following exception when trying to open an editor part using Eclipse RCP:

PartInitException: Unable to open editor, unknown editor ID: my.editor.id

The message was a lie -- I had registered an editor under the stipulated ID.  But when I debugged into Eclipse code, I could see that my editor had not been registered.  Investigating further, I found the following message in the application log:

!MESSAGE Plugin my.plugin, extension org.eclipse.ui.editors
Required attribute 'icon' not defined

It appears that the 'icon' attribute is required, even though it is not shown as such in the plug-in manifest editor.  Note that the condition is reported as a 'message' and not an 'error', so if you don't go looking into the application log, you won't see it.

Blog Archive