... until the collector arrives ...

This "blog" is really just a scratchpad of mine. There is not much of general interest here. Most of the content is scribbled down "live" as I discover things I want to remember. I rarely go back to correct mistakes in older entries. You have been warned :)

2006-08-30

ALDSP Null Pointer Exceptions

I have seen ALDSP null pointer exceptions a few times, with stack traces like this:

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.bea.ld.dsmediator.update.DataServiceMediator.populateBindingTree(DataServiceMediator.java:2183)
        at com.bea.ld.dsmediator.update.DataServiceMediator.populateBindingTree(DataServiceMediator.java:2230)
        at com.bea.ld.dsmediator.update.DataServiceMediator.populateBindingTree(DataServiceMediator.java:2230)
        at com.bea.ld.dsmediator.update.DataServiceMediator.parseDataGraph(DataServiceMediator.java:1990)
        at com.bea.ld.dsmediator.update.DataServiceMediator.getUpdatePlan(DataServiceMediator.java:593)
        at com.bea.ld.dsmediator.update.DataServiceMediator.submit(DataServiceMediator.java:509)

Today it arose when I tried to submit an update to a DTO that showed a parent-child hierarchy.  I didn't seriously think that the update would work, but I don't think that an NPE is a particularly helpful error message.  I looked at the source of DataServiceMediator#populateBindingTree, but it was hard to identify the errant line.

Blog Archive