... until the collector arrives ...

This "blog" is really just a scratchpad of mine. There is not much of general interest here. Most of the content is scribbled down "live" as I discover things I want to remember. I rarely go back to correct mistakes in older entries. You have been warned :)


ALDSP vs. Multi-table Updates

I created a data service that reports on a couple of tables that have a parent-child relationship.  This was SQL Server, so the primary keys were auto-generating 'identity' keys.  If I updated the ALDSP document to create a new parent node and submit it, all is well.  But if I submit a document that creates both a parent and child node, then the update fails complaining that no value was supplied for the parent key in the child table.  "Aha!" I thought, I remember reading in the BEA documentation that updates occur in alphabetical order by table name and, as luck would have it, that was the wrong order for my tables.  So I renamed the child table to sort alphabetically after the parent table and tried again.

No success (yet).  I keep getting the exception::

java.sql.SQLException: [BEA][SQLServer JDBC Driver]Invalid SQL specified

I have turned all of the logging in ALDSP, WebLogic, and the relevant application to full-on maximum -- but ALDSP doesn't show the SQL in question.  In fact, I get this error even when I try to update the parent alone, so something else is broken.  I'll keep looking...

Blog Archive