... until the collector arrives ...

This "blog" is really just a scratchpad of mine. There is not much of general interest here. Most of the content is scribbled down "live" as I discover things I want to remember. I rarely go back to correct mistakes in older entries. You have been warned :)

2004-06-25

Intranet

I migrated our Intranet web site files from VSS to SVN.  I wanted to make the 'live' web directory an SVN working copy, but I didn't know how to configure IIS to not serve up the numerous .SVN files.  I was looking for an equivalent to the Apache 'limit' directives.  Apparently, there is no such concept on IIS.  However, Microsoft has a global ISAPI filter called UrlScan which can, among other things, be used to control whether files are served up based upon their extension.  UrlScan is configured by the file:

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\urlscan\urlscan.ini

The default UrlScan permissions are fairly tight.  In order to avoid breaking any other applications (like ASP.NET or FrontPage extensions), I moved the UrlScan filter down the list in priority (on web site properties\ISAPI filters page).  Note that UrlScan loads as a 'high priority' filter unless you adjust the setting of the AllowLateScanning directive in urlscan.ini).

Blog Archive