... until the collector arrives ...

This "blog" is really just a scratchpad of mine. There is not much of general interest here. Most of the content is scribbled down "live" as I discover things I want to remember. I rarely go back to correct mistakes in older entries. You have been warned :)

2004-06-17

VSS

On the topic of source control, our VSS database is over 4gig and headed for 5.  Microsoft recommends limiting database size to 2gig and strongly recommends staying under 5.  First, I got a list of physical VSS files:

ss physical $/ -r –o@h:\desktop\physical.txt 

Then, I started an analyze:

analyze -f -v4 t:\vss\data

Actually, I ran it first without the 'fix' option (-f), but the end of the day arrived before the end of the analysis, so I interrupted it and restarted it in 'fix' mode to run over night.  Tomorrow I'll check out the results and try to figure out an archiving plan.  The problem is that when you archive only some projects, you have to make sure that you archive any projects that they share or (apparently) you will be unable to restore the archive.

Microsoft has a VSS Best Practices document.

Blog Archive